West Indian Manatees- By far THE most adorable sea-life on this planet! I still can't believe it took me an entire week to post our latest adventure; this is by far the best thing we have done in Florida! I'll start from the beginning: Shortly after we moved here I developed a fascination and great love for manatees. (Florida is one of the few places that still has a manatee population). Our nightly, and sometimes daily walks around the slow moving waterways consisted of me listening and searching intently for bubbles (slow digestive systems), manatee noses coming to the water's surface (air breathers), and any other noise that may indicate these gentle "sea cows" were near. Tyler indulged my preoccupation for a while. He would go silent when I would "hear" something, and encourage me when our little excursions produced no signs of manatees, and a disappointed enthusiast.
Finally, my dream came true! I'm still not sure if Ty just wanted to make me happy, or if he was tired of our manatee searches and hearing about my disappointment; either way, he planned a very unique Valentine's weekend which gave us the experience of seeing them up close and personal. If you know a thing or two about manatees, now is a great time to see them! In the winter months the natural spring waters of Homosassa become a manatee refuge (I learned this and many other facts in my free time). Manatees, who do not tolerate cold water, migrate inland from the ocean to bask in the 72 degree clear water springs of the Homosassa and Crystal River --both are now protected as refuges. From about mid-November through the end of March they can eat, rest and enjoy being protected from some of the serious threats in the open ocean. (boats, pollution, destroyed habitats etc).
The waters of the Homosassa (about 5 hours from Miami) are clear and shallow, making it a perfect place to snorkel and interact with the manatees- A LOT of manatees, we couldn't' believe how many there were just chillin- enjoying life. They proved to be as they are characterized, calm, curious, sweet and lovable. One big Momma-Manatee LOVED Ty, she liked to nuzzle up to him and follow him around. Take a look! How could anyone not adore their sweet teddy-bear eyes, their roly-poly wrinkles and their playful nature!
I think she had a little crush on Ty! 
My little buddy- So cute!
If you are now a manatee lover- take a look at some of these websites. Sadly, these gentle mammals face serious threats! Most fatalities are a result of water craft collision- boat propellers, pollution and a serious reduction in habitat! Very sad.
6 comments:
Wow- I had no idea. If you ever get into the kind of cows that live on dry ground I could probably hook you up with a few dairy tours in Burley. My dad knows some of the biggest, dirtiest, and smelliest dairies in America, just choose the cow breed your interested in.
I'm glad you had a fun v-day weekend. It really does seem quite entertaining and it seems to have been very educational.
How fun, I have only seen those in an aquarium in Hawaii so thats pretty cool you were able to swim with them. What a great V-Day adventure.
It was so good to hear from you! I glad that you are also happily married and doing well. I have to say, I'm a little jealous that you live in sunny Florida.
Yes, Cheryl would be very proud. I'm glad we can stay in touch through the blogging world!
Natalie (Taylor) Whittaker
I love that you love the manatee so much.
I am jealous of your adventures.
That is crazy! They are so big! I would be just a little intimidated to swim with them but they do look like fun loving creatures! I hope you and Tyler are enjoying his spring break!
Sarah- Emmie told me about your blog so I had to stop by and say Hi! I know that some members of your family are totally anti-blog, but these Burrs are not! So come and stop by and say hi, if it's ok we will totally add you to our friends list. Glad you are LOVING FL, and the local wildlife!
Rachel Burr
Post a Comment